Sheryl Barnd, Ed.D. | Superintendent & Principal
- Joined the Mupu Family in 1992
- BS Child Development, CSUN
- Master of Arts, Curriculum & Instruction- Cal Lutheran University & Educational Administration-CSUN
- Doctorate, Educational Leadership, USC
- My favorite part of the day is in the morning when I get to greet all of our scholars and gather as a group for flag salute and morning announcements.
- I enjoy exploring new places and restaurants.
- “Every kid is ONE caring adult away from being a success story.” Josh Shipp
Theresa Brock | School Secretary
- I have been a part of Mupu’s family since 2006.
- Love my job and being able to welcome scholars and their families with open arms and a smile.
- I enjoy spending time with family and friends. Just keeping it simple!
Nicole Misewitch | Kindergarten & SAI Teacher
- Teacher at Mupu since 2013
- BA Liberal Studies, CSUCI
- Multiple Subject Credential, CSUCI
- Education Specialist Credential, CSUCI
- I love being able to witness a child reading for the first time!
- I love traveling, riding my bike, and spending time with my family.
- "I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples."-Mother Theresa
Kyla Colavito | 1st Grade Teacher
- Teacher at Mupu since 2002
- BA in Child Development, CSUN
- MA in Education, Azusa Pacific University
- I love the family-like community at Mupu!
- I live in Ventura with my husband and 3 kids.
- I love spending time with my family, camping, exercising, riding horses, gardening, and chocolate.
Deana Sherry | 2nd Grade Teacher
- Mupu School Elementary teacher since 1998
- Multiple Subject California Teaching Credential CSUN
- BA Liberal Studies (Emphasis: Anthropology, Spanish, Religious Studies) UC Santa Barbara
- Graphic Arts Certificate SBCC
- Ceramics Ventura College
- I love, love, love to read. My goal is to keep an open curiosity about the world and to always keep learning. I love being a lifelong learner, and hope to inspire our Mupu community to do the same.
- “Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.” --Maya Angelou
Marilyn Beckerman | 3rd & 4th Grade Teacher
- I’ve been blessed to be teaching at Mupu School since 1999.
- I have a BA in Sociology from San Francisco State, as well as a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and Education Specialist Credential from CSUN.
- I live in Ventura with my husband and Golden Retriever.
- I enjoy spending time outdoors, hiking, camping, kayaking, gardening as well as traveling and spending time with my adult daughters in San Francisco.
- My goal for all my students is that they become critical thinkers and strive to do their best while enjoying the path along the way.
Kaitlyn Marquez | 4th & 5th Grade Teacher
- I am so happy to be joining the Mupu Family!
- I have been teaching since 2015. I have a BA in Liberal Studies from Fresno State, a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential from CSU, Channel Islands, as well as a MA in Literacy Education from Loyola Marymount University.
- My goal is to build and foster a classroom community where scholars feel they are listened to and supported in their learning.
- Outside of school I enjoy spending time with my husband and our son, singing, as well as playing guitar and the ukulele.
- "To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world." Dr.Seuss
Samantha Borgstedte | 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Teacher
- BA Integrated Educational Studies with minors in English, Spanish, and Language & Literacy: Chapman University
- MA Teaching: Chapman University
- I am so excited to be joining the Mupu Family!
- "Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible." Helen Keller
Megan Escobar | 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Teacher
- Teacher at Mupu since 2010
- BS Liberal Studies, Cal Poly SLO
- I love Mupu because of the family atmosphere they have nurtured here. Every staff member, student, and family is supported, loved, and focused on the best possible education for all our scholars.
- I love to bake, garden, and spend time with my daughter and husband.
- "Every scholar can learn; just maybe not on the same day or in the same way." ~ George Evans
Deanna Nese | 7th & 8th Grade Teacher
- Teacher at Mupu since 2008
- BA Liberal Studies, CSUN
- MA Multicultural Education, CSUDH
- Author of “Shelter in Place” (2014) and “The Needle’s Eye” (2016)
- I love being part of the Mupu family, and sending students on to high school knowing they are prepared to succeed. Having former students return and keep in touch is one of the best rewards.
- Things I enjoy: my family, my pets, writing, reading, traveling, paddle boarding, the beach, and being outdoors
- “And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” -John Steinbeck
Shayna Stern-Tolkmitt | School Psychologist
- Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential- 1996
- Masters of Arts in School Psychology & Pupil Personnel Services Credential-School Psychology- 2004
- I have worked for schools within Ventura County since 1999.
- Member of Ventura County Association of School Psychologists; California Association of School Psychologist; International School Psychologists Association
- Past selected Ventura County Cadre Member of the California Autism Professional Training and Information Network
- Recently my husband, two teenagers and I traveled abroad to work overseas at international schools in Bangkok, Thailand.
Nancy Coker | Language Specialist
- I have been at Mupu since 2001
- BA, Special Education, Illinois State University
- MA, Communicative Disorders, Northern Illinois University
- Ventura County Office of Education since 1993
- Licensed Speech Language Pathologist since 1983
- I love spending time with my family which includes 6 grandchildren. Together we enjoy camping, hiking, traveling and riding horses.
Sara Peyton | Instructional Aide
- I’ve worked at Mupu since 2015.
- What I love about Mupu is that we’re like one big family.
- When I’m not at Mupu I love camping, reading and laughing with my three children.
Lori Lory | Instructional Aide
- I have been working at Mupu School since 1995.
- I love working with our scholars as they keep me young at heart.
- In my spare time I enjoy reading, gardening, hiking and watching the Lakers play basketball.
Sylvia Ming | Instructional Aide
- I've worked in the Mupu Elementary School District since 1995.
- I love working with children and enjoy watching them learn and grow; getting to know all of the Mupu families has been a blessing.
- Family is very important to me and I love to spend it with them, especially my children and grandchildren.
- On my free time I love to go for a long run, and watch a good game.
Manny Mendez | Custodian
- I’ve been at Mupu since 2013.
- It’s been a blessing to be employed here at Mupu.
- The kids at Mupu are more than Scholars to me, they’re family.
- My favorite pastimes are spending time with my amazing family and listening to music.